This is a super easy, amazing tasting and healthy (if eaten once in a while) alternative to your standard Chocolate Mud Cake. No refined sugars, no grains or any other nasties! My philosophy on sweets and treats is that they are fine to eat as “sometimes foods” as long as they are made from whole unrefined real food ingredients. We all feel like something indulgent from time to time, so as long as you follow the above advice then there is no need to feel like you have to miss out.
I most often see clients fall off the wagon when they are being too restrictive and aren’t allowing themselves any flexibility on their healthy eating plans. What normally happens is that they eat something they shouldn’t and feel guilty and this then spirals them into more unhealthy eating, they lose focus and then the whole “health plan” unravels from there.
Recipe adapted from http://kehoeskitchen.com/2013/08/28/best-ever-chocolate-mud-cake/#.V4SDFbzVvHh
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 40 mins
8 eggs (preferably free range organic)
1 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup cacao powder
375 grams virgin coconut oil
2 teaspoons bi-carb soda
2 tablespoons vanilla powder
1 large ripe avocado
200 grams virgin coconut oil
3 tablespoons cacao powder
1/4 cup honey
1. Put coconut oil in a small pan and melt over low heat.
2. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
3. In a large mixing bowl add eggs, honey and all dry ingredients. Using a hand held beater, mix ingredients until well combined.
4. Add melted coconut oil and beat until smooth consistency.
5. Line a cake tin with baking paper and pour cake mix into tin.
6. Cook in oven for around 35-40 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in it and it comes out clean. Let cake cool prior to applying icing.
For the icing, just blend all ingredients (melt coconut oil) with a hand held blender and smear over top of cooled cake. Put in fridge to set icing. Serve with berries on top.